Friday, December 24, 2010

Cafe Grill, Fountain Valley CA

I found out about Café Grill because the food critics from OC Register raved about it and wanted to try it for myself.  I have to say that my feelings are a little more mixed than I like them to be.  Don’t let the scrumptious looking pictures fool you, there were some really high points and are worth checking out and then were some dishes that had great potential but fell short.

IMG_0149  

Butternut squash ravioli:  It does not help that this was served first because this set the bar high.  You can just tell the the ravioli was assembled that day simply because the ravioli did not look perfect and that the squash and the ravioli itself tasted so fresh.  It comes topped with a balsamic sauce, chives and tarragon and everything went together so well.

IMG_0152

Potato pancakes:  Unfortunately this was one of those that fell flat.  I don’t know if it was because I was there at 2 in the afternoon and was getting the last of the servings, but that shouldn’t be an excuse.  You could tell that these were not freshly fried and had been sitting under a warmer.  You know that dry potato texture you get when fries have been sitting out a little too long.  Yeah, kind of like that.  Plus I found the flavor lacking, I had to add quite a bit of salt.

IMG_0155

Wild Boar Sausage sandwich:  Back to our high point, this also contained grilled onions and whole grain mustard.  Everything about this sandwich was very good and especially the sausage itself packed so much flavor with a perfect amount of grilled char to go with it.  Unfortunately this was not my lunch so I only had a couple, but man I wished I had ordered this.

IMG_0158  

Parsnip Soup:  I found this interesting because I’ve never had parsnip before and have nothing to compare it to.  I would not rate this bad, just interesting.  The best way I can describe it is a cross between and turnip and a potato soup.

IMG_0160

Chicken and Brie sandwich: I don’t have brie often on a sandwich but I liked how it went with the chicken and plus it was nice to have a sandwich with a cheese I’m not used to having on there.  Unfortunately the chicken was bland and lacking in flavor once again.  If it would have had more seasoning, even maybe a splash of lemon, I would have liked this more.  Plus the mayo was very stingy.  Being generous on the mayo could have helped this out too.

IMG_0162

Chocolate Profiteroles: Basically cream puffs covered in chocolate sauce.  I’m so glad I ordered this because this did help make up for other blahs.  It seemed like the chocolate sauce was a dark chocolate because it had that slight bitterness, which was great because I love dark chocolate.  I think it was good to make the chocolate dark because the sweetness of the cream needed to be contrasted with that tiny bit of bitterness from the chocolate.  Whatever the chef did here, did an excellent job.  If there weren’t other people in the restaurant, I would have gladly licked the sauce off the plate.

Rating: 3.5/5 Forks

Cost: $$, about $20-25 per person.

I would have rated this place higher had I happen to only ordered the things that were great.  However, I did have to rate it lower than I would have liked to because it’s always a goal of mine to try a new place and sample as many dishes as possible, which was what I did.  As I said, the high points were very high but unfortunately 2/5 dishes fell short which made me bring the score down.  The dishes that were done well are worth checking out.

1 comment:

  1. you are too cute, I want to put you in my pocket

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...