Thursday, August 12, 2010

Garlic Festival: The Whatevs

These are the dishes I’m more so neutral about, that were not that impressive.  I don’t think anything I came across I would consider bad, tasting that is, but I probably would not be upset if I didn’t came across it to begin with.

IMG_0408

These are deep fried artichoke hearts with garlic chunks and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.  The part that doesn’t impress me is that it’s just chunks of garlic on top.  Anybody can do that!  I don’t feel it incorporates or infuses garlic to make it seem special at all.  However, unbeknownst to  me, I did see that it does come with a special garlic sauce that you can get poured on top.  But I only found out after I saw someone else with it and the person at the booth never asked so I never knew about it.  That’s what also irks me about this, is that I see that it could have been potentially great.  But whatevs, can’t dwell on should’ve, would’ve, could’ve.

IMG_0410

It looks, smells great, and there is definitely a generous infusion of garlic, but I should have known better.  It’s garlic chicken stir fry!  I’m Asian!  I eat this stuff all the time.  I took the first bite and realized that everything was all too familiar.  In all fairness though, for anybody that doesn’t come across Asian food often, I think it would be worth it and something you would really enjoy.  Like I said, it doesn’t taste bad, but I have had this or something similar to it a thousand times and I feel like I can get this anywhere.  So I will take credit and admit that it’s partially my fault.  The stir fry is in this category because of my own personal prejudices.  I do my best to keep an open mind, but sometimes it’s hard to when you’ve eaten stir fry your whole life and have so much to compare it against.  I realized after eating this that it’s not just about slapping some garlic on a dish for me, but if adding garlic among other things would make a dish truly stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...